Saturday, September 10, 2011

The first weekend

I realized this week, sometime in the middle of the night, that as hard as it has been to get to work on time for the past four and a half years that I've made the daycare-work run, that suddenly THIS year, I need to get the KID to school on time. My workplace, bless them, turned a blind eye to my coming in an hour late or even an hour and a half as long as my work got done. I was only inconveniencing myself, for the most part, by ensuring that I had to pull stuff together at nap time over the weekend. (Or more often, work like a mo-fo when I WAS there.)

But now I need to get the kid to school on time, which has effectively solved my getting to work late problem. But instead of just inconveniencing only me when I'm late, I'm now affecting my kid AND his class if he's late.

So my new morning routine is not to sleep in one tiny minute, and to just not sit down for a single second for the hour I'm home in the morning. It goes like this:

getupgotothebathroommakecoffeemakebreakfastforthreekidseatbreakfastandoverseetwokidseatingbreakfastshowerwashhairandbodydryoffpickoutfitgetdressedfixhairandmakeupifIhavetimemakethreelunchesfindcoatsandshoesanddaycareorschoolsuppliesherdtwochildrenintothecaranddrive.

And the best news? I get to do this every school morning for the next, oh, ELEVEN YEARS.

Oh. Weekends. Oh my how nice you are when I get to sit down.

2 comments:

wealhtheow said...

Nonono. At some point in the next two years, you get to start making The Boy make his own lunch. I mean, you'll still have to supervise, but seriously. (I also make SP do this the night before. Because dragging her out of bed in the morning is hard enough.)

AvenSarah said...

Yeah, that was a shock to our system, too. We've faced it partly by doing as much prep as possible the night before (lunches, pack bags, set coffee pot, put out clothes), & partly by getting up am hour or so earlier than we NEED to, to make the morning less hectic. It means I'm up at 6:15, which kinda sucks, but it stops me going insane every morning.