Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanksgiving

Today we are heading to my sister's for the traditional -- so it has become, now that we are adults. Regular readers will know that going to my sister's is not my favourite activities, but I go nevertheless in the interests of family harmony. This year, though, there is a teeny tiny glimmer of hope, the briefest whisper of conversation that was had with said sister a few days back that suggested that she actually realizes that there is this great overwhelming canyon of a divide between us, and even moreso that she might think that attempting to bridge the divide is a good thing.

So in celebration of what is probably yet another misunderstanding but I am thinking positive and of course this is the beginning of a new relationship for the two of us, here's my list of things I am most thankful for this year.

My child, who tries and delights me every single day. I am so very blessed by his presence.
My partner in life, who is in a very real but very subtle way saving my life right now.
My parents, who don't understand me, but who love me without limit nevertheless.
My friends, who also delight me. I wish I had more time for you -- virtually and really -- than I do.
My home, which is cluttered and often dirty, but which feels cozy and safe and keeps us all out of the elements.
My inlaws, who are wonderful people who I am glad to have part of my life.
My books, which give me endless entertainment.
My job which, while dull as dirt right now, gives me the means to have the rest of the life I enjoy and the safety nets that I like to know are there.
My imagination, which I have never really appreciated but which follows me, for good or evil, all the days of my life.
My sister, and the fact that we will always be sisters, and while we may hurt one another, nothing will change that one bond.
Days like today which are sunny and cool with crisp leaves and a nip in the air.
My backyard, with its myriad chalk pictures that we ran about like crazy people in this morning.
The love that I have.
The love I receive.
My hope for the future.
Plus ... tea, good cheese, soft bread, ripe fruit, pumpkin pie, and turkey with stuffing.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. Even if you don't celebrate it like we are doing tonight.

1 comment:

JS said...

I would like to add to your wonderful list with:

I am thankful for electricity. For celebrating Thanksgiving in Victoria with husband's family (and their family), is so much more fun when the turkey is about 75% done and the power for the entire city of Greater Victoria DOES NOT go out.

It was all good though - BBQs and camper vans came out and the meal was saved just in time for the power coming back on!