Friday, October 17, 2008

Women's health

Seventy years ago, my great-grandmother experienced a strange menopausal reaction. She was living on a farm at the time, and the doctor had to come from the local village. He didn't want to come. He decided that she was "hysterical" and it was just a normal "woman's issue". 

He didn't come.

She hemorrhaged, and bled to death. She was 46.

My grandfather was devastated, and never again trusted another doctor.

He's not my presidential candidate, but anyone who uses air quotes to talk about women's health issues does not deserve to lead a country. He doesn't deserve to do much, in my opinion. The only thing I'd say he's good for is to retire, because he is clearly too old to be thinking straight.

Because that kind of attitude only leads to unnecessary deaths of women. I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear.

Except ... I didn't hear about this. Who said what? (I suspect I can guess...) I want to know, so I can never ever ever vote for him, should I have the opportunity.

erin said...

Senator McCain used air quotes when discussing women's health ("health") as cause for a legal abortion. As though things like eclampsia do not exist, as though all those poor women out there who lost their babies (and were lucky to survive themselves) were just making it up. So disrespectful, not only to the bloggers I've read who've gone through that horrific experience, but to all women. (if you ask me.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I guessed right, then. :P