Monday, November 17, 2008

All those things you never thought would have to say

As the mother of a small child, there are many times that sentences come out of my mouth that to a normal person would sound nonsensical. Things that I never thought I would have to utter, since any person with any common sense would realize the truth of them without the words ever being spoken. Things like "No, we don't throw prunes!" or "No, we don't use the tongs on people. Or cats." or "No, we can't step on Chloe!" (the cat. Poor cats are heartily abused in this house.)

And I harken back to something that The Man once told me, told to him, before we had children, by a friend of ours who recently had. "There is no such thing as common sense," he said. "There is only experience. You realize this once you have children."

Clearly, given the state of prunes in this house. I mean, they aren't that good to eat, so I suppose that lack of experience might convince you that they are something to huck at the walls.

No comments: