Saturday, June 20, 2009

Working on a Saturday

Not me, The Man. But me, really, since that means I'm home alone with a three year old and have to make sure we have laundry and food and all those kinds of weekend things. So far I think I've done rather well, I have done some grocery shopping and made a roast chicken and potatoes dinner and done about a million (give or take) loads of laundry ... and that was after taking my child to a birthday party this morning. Which was almost an unmitigated disaster, unmitigated only because my child didn't actually cry or throw a tantrum, but he didn't want to play party games and didn't want to do the party craft and he didn't want to wear his party costume that I'd actually had to go out and purchase (curse folks for having a themed costume party for four year olds!) (Don't worry, I bought small accessories only, at a small cost, but he STILL wouldn't wear them). He also wouldn't eat the party food and wanted to go home before the cake. Since by that time it was two hours after we got there, I thought ... meh, I want to go home too, so let's just go! Of course that interrupted the party eating because the mother of the child decided if we were leaving, her child should open the present from us so as to thank us properly, which was nice, but my kid did want to go and was slightly nonplussed when the birthday boy opened it up and delightedly exclaimed "hey, I HAVE this one already!" To which I replied "ah, gift card, exchange!" as an aside to his mother. Who was terribly embarrassed, but I waved it off ... after all, that's why I made sure there WAS a gift card. At The Boy's party one of the kids gave him a copy of a book he already had, with an inscription and no gift card and now we have TWO of a book that I hate to read, and would really rather have been able to exchange it.

I guess four and five year olds have a longer attention span and can stay at a party for a long time. My kid, not so much.

Anyway. In the end I am glad my child is making friends -- such friends that after only six weeks at this new centre he was one of 6 boys invited to this party. And it was also nice to meet another family who live only two blocks from here.

But after today, DAMN, am I ready for wine.

No comments: