Friday, June 10, 2011

Writerly

So last night my daughter found a pencil. One of those tiny ones. It fit perfectly in her hand. Without missing a beat, she reached under the table to a box of recycling I had placed there while doing paperwork, picked out a piece of paper, and *holding the pencil correctly*, started making marks on the paper.

I took photos. When the heck had she learned that? Isn't she 13 months?!

So this morning when I got to daycare with her, I was pleased to see they had out pens and paper. What fun! I put her down and she immediately picked up the pens and started drawing. It seems a fun thing to encourage, right? So I chat with the carers, put things away, and sit down with her for a bit. A few minutes later I get up to go, and there's a bit of chaos, what with the hugging and the transfer of the child and all.

So I leave, go to work. Boot up computer, make tea, chat with colleagues. Work. Work work work work. And I'm on deadline, so I don't get up from my desk until noon, when I go to the bathroom and ...

My neck? Four or five large slashes of purple marker. And not, like, in a nice line, as one might mistake a necklace or anything. One BIG blotch near my right collarbone, several other irregular ones nearby.

And *no one had said anything*.

Awesome.

Sent from my iPad

No comments: