Monday, September 27, 2010

Sad

There's not much sadder, can I just say, than a baby with a cold. My oldest didn't get sick in his first year. I was home with him and when we did go out he was on me; he was a late crawler and an extended breast feeder so in total that meant his exposure to germs was minimal.

(don't ask me about the KIDNEY INFECTION or the SIX MONTH LONG COLD he had during his first winter at daycare which included a bout of pneumonia. His SECOND year was awful.)

But The Girl has a brother who goes, on occasion, to group care, aka the BIG PIT OF GERMS. And he loves to kiss his little sister. A lot. On the nose.

And so when he was snuffly last night, I should have expected that she would soon follow suit. Which she did. At midnight. And one am. And 5. And 7. (skipping 3am to convince me it was just a fluke before ha ha! Gotcha!)

Poor thing has no idea what's going on, only that between teething and eating and the snot in her nose there's ENTIRELY TOO MUCH LIQUID IN MY HEAD and this means much hysterical sobbing at the confusion and discomfort. Why can't I breathe mommy??!!!! WHY??!! WHHHYYYYY???!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor kid.

Thank God for mat leave is all I can say. I can't imagine working through this sleep deprivation haze.

No comments: