Saturday, May 23, 2009

Socialized medicine

So the other day I went and picked up my kid at his daycare, and found a piece of paper in his mailbox from the Community Health Nurse. It was printed from Vancouver Coastal Health, the overreaching health care administration for our area, and it noted my son's vaccinations from birth, and showed me which he was still missing. 

I've never dealt with the Community Health Nurse. I have certainly never been in touch with VCH, but they know my kid's name, his ID numbers, his family doctor, his address, and all his immunizations. They also, interestingly enough know exactly where he goes to daycare. 

It's not that I mind these various offices having this information. It's not a big deal. It just serves to remind me that the government knows all

I am, however, slightly offended that the bottom of the form tells me which shots he still needs as opposed to what they recommend, and gives me a due date. Because socialized medicine aside, I still believe as his mom, *I* get to decide. And chances are, I'm going to vaccinate on time. Because I believe in it, after that whole kidney thing. (Which, for the record, he would not have had if he'd had all his vaccinations. It was a completely preventable infection that left scarring on his kidney. Trust me, I am ALL FOR vaccinations after three scary days in the hospital and follow up for six months afterwards. Not to mention that whole burning-of-the-hand thing that occurred at the same time that required several visits to a plastic surgeon. GO VACCINES.)

Where was I?

Oh, right. I'm totally FOR vaccines, I just think that I get to decide where, when, and who, and I don't need them dictating to me.

But I suppose I get to take the whole package, for better or for worse.

No comments: