Monday, February 14, 2011

The Big Brother Prerogative

My son teases his little sister. Holds her too hard. Sits on her. Grabs toys out of her hands, and then taunts her with them. Occasionally pushes her over, gives her little smacks when he thinks he won't get caught. Pulls her arms out of her sleeves and giggles at her confusion.

I spend a lot of time telling him not to do things. Being cross. Being disappointed. Being frustrated most of all.

At the same time I think -- this is what he's kinda supposed to do, as the big brother. It's practically his job to torment his little sister.

But I suppose it's also my job to tell him off when he does it. Sigh.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Also note: she will soon be old enough to start pushing his buttons in return.

The Brotherling and I have almost exactly the same age gap, as I may have mentioned, although with the sexes reversed. I'm not sure I was ever quite as good at tormenting him as he was at tormenting me...