Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gauche ..

So I just sent off invites to my son's party. Normally I would have invited 5 kids, one for each year, but this year we decided our place was just too small, and so we rented a room at a local community centre and they let us bring up to 20. So I invited 14, all the kids of his age at the daycare and a few extra friends.

But the thing is that my kid doesn't need 14 presents, or 20 when you consider he'll get one from us, one from his sister, one from each set of grandparents, probably one from each auntie and family ... so lots. He doesn't need 20 new toys. We don't have room, anyway.

So we decided to follow the lead of another of his playmates and ask for two loonies -- one for a present for him, one for a donation to a charity.

I felt a little uncomfortable asking for this, but I know if it were me I'd be thrilled -- no agonizing over a present! No side shopping trip! Just bring a couple loonies and we're good to go! So I'm hoping the other parents feel the same.

Anyway now I'm just sitting back waiting for the RSVPs, and am feeling bizarrely nervous. What if no one wants to come? I must keep reminding myself: my son is way more popular than I was. It'll all be fine. Heh.

No comments: