Sunday, February 20, 2011

The funniest thing in the world

We woke up this morning early. Dear Lord in Heaven early, so we are groggy. At breakfast, The Man and I sat and drank coffee (we bought a coffee maker a while back, chucked the gentle tea out the window) and made sporadic conversation. The Boy sat nearby, eating cheerios and playing with Lego at the table.

"This coffee is great," said The Man. "What did you do?"

We're new at coffee, so we're trying to optimize our coffee-making.

"I used three-quarters of a cup of coffee instead of two-thirds," I replied. "I couldn't find the third cup measure."

He looked at me blearily, half-awake. "Is that more?"

I stare back at him blankly.

"It's more," said the other side of the table. "Three quarters is more than two-thirds. Hey, mom, want to see the funniest Lego thing in the whole world?"

We look, and we laugh, but not at the Lego. At a four-year-old kid who can parse fractions at 7am better than we can.

No comments: