Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday Swimming

So it turns out that Easter Sunday morning? A great time to go to the pool! WAY fewer people than normal, especially for a holiday weekend! Go figure.

Alas, since we haven't been to the pool in a while, we have reverted to a child who is terrified of water and didn't lessen his vice-like grip around my neck for pretty much the entire hour we were there. Most of me is sympathetic, because I hated the water as a kid and to be honest, still hate getting water in my face. The last part of me desperately wishes he wouldn't inherit this fear. Because I really do think that learning to swim is an important skill, and it's one I never learned because my mother eventually gave up on swimming lessons because of all the screaming. 

We went to a pool in the next town south of us -- somewhere we'd never been, but which was highly recommended for children. And it was fun. The usual -- so it seems, these days -- things: a wave pool, a place for climbing, water slides, etc. Only it was the wildest wave pool I have ever been in. Seriously, it had the power to bowl over both me AND The Man, who I might add is 6ft tall and 200+ pounds, not scrawny. I mean, I guess that you're not supposed to STAND in it, but even floating at one point I went under, WITH THE KID IN MY ARMS.

We went home at that point. 

So perhaps less than successful, but I tell you I will definitely be going back next Easter Sunday. Can't miss out on the pool when it doesn't need crowd control.

No comments: