Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why? It all comes down to evolution

My kid has decided that "Why?" is the most fascinating thing anyone can ever say. 

Me? I've decided that my head will explode.

Me: Come on, let's go get in the car!

Him: Why?

Me: Because we're going to daycare!

Him: Why?

Me: Because mommy needs to go to work!

Him: Why?

Me: Because we need money to buy things, like the house and food.

Him: Why?

Me: Because ... otherwise my head my explode, get in the damn car.

....
 
Me: Get in your seat please!

Him: Why?

Me: AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! 

I have decided that he doesn't ever want to know the answer, he just wants to see how crazy I can get. In all seriousness, I do think he does it partly because he thinks it's funny to just keep saying it, he's not actually curious about the reason. 

The other day, he did this with his dad and The Man ended up uttering the phrase, towards the end, "It all comes down to evolution." I think I'm going to end up saying that to end the endless whys. 

Because really? So often, it just does. 

3 comments:

JS said...

My response to the endless stream of 'whys' is "why do you want to know?"

Stops them pretty quick.

wealhtheow said...

Ah, yes: the three-year-old, master (or mistress) of the endless "why".

Because, let's face it, sometimes inquiring minds want to know; and sometimes, well, it's just so much fun to watch Mommy's head explode...

At one point I remember answering "But why do you hafta go to work?" with "Because if I don't go to work, they don't pay me, and then I can't pay the rent, and then we'll get evicted and have to live in a cardboard box."

I think she knew I was kidding. Sort of.

AvenSarah said...

E.'s totally in the Why stage. (For about half a year it was "How does that work?" which was at least answerable... though Mark went through the details of the internal combustion engine more times than he is willing to count, I bet).
Partly he actually IS curious -- but more and more, it's just an automatic question. I'm afraid I've started, when it gets to the point where I have no more easy answers, of answering "because!". Which is unfair, but amazingly actually works sometimes!
And I feel somewhat justified, b/c if I turn the tables and ask HIM "Why?", he usually answers "Just because, mommy!". Grr. ;)