Sunday, May 22, 2011

So much to say! So little time to type!

Excuse me for a brief 45 seconds while I brain dump onto the page. Where was I?

Right. Well. Daycare still sucks. I'm having recurrent fantasies about The Man being relocated to a nicer locale so I have a good excuse to quit my job, despite the HUGE amount of headaches that would cause. You know -- moving, for starters. Getting the house packed, sold, finding a new one in a good neighborhood, finding school for The Boy. Not to mention breaking contract with MY work and then owing them a bunch of money. Ha ha ha. Yeah.

The daycare director has been there 23 years and has only had two kids not settle in, so here's hoping that The GIrl will be among the majority. Yes. I asked. Three weeks of shrieking, crying, calling and reaching are emotionally wearing.

Part of The Girl's  bad mood last week was likely due to a cold and the cessation of eating. One supposes that the cold irritated her throat, but solids were a no-go most of the week. Yesterday I watched as she ate a strawberry, though. A whole one. In small bites, of course. But ... Gah. Yeah. It drives me nutty. One day I can barely get her to eat soup and the next she's chowing down a whole strawberry.

******

So that whole rapture thing yesterday was a bit of a bust, huh?

******

So my inlaws are here for the long weekend. When of course the weather turned completely horrible so we're all stuck inside our tiny place. They think we're crazy to live in Vancouver because good heavens, it always rains!

We haven't seen them since Christmas so they showed up bearing gifts, of course, as grandparents are wont to do, including an enormous metal bug for my son (??!!) and a crazy doll-in-a-bag complete with sippy cup and baby food for my daughter. No joke, this doll has two bellybuttons. One's removeable. It's hard to explain, but she is (I think) supposed to have a clean diaper and a dirty diaper, only on the front of the clean diaper is a brand new belly button too. Most disturbing though was that when we first opened her up she had what looked like p*bic hair under there -- same colour as the hair on her head! It turned out to be just a lot of yellow fuzz that came off, but it was creepy to find it all located inside the doll's diaper.

I asked the MIL where she found such an item and she said it was the grocery store they use when in the States, and it was 75% off! So -- perfect! My inlaws are very generous with my kids, both with their finances and their time, so this just made me laugh, but I guess when you buy dolls at grocery store on clearance prices you will end up  with dolls that have hit puberty too early.

*******

Friday afternoon we were told to leave work early for the long weekend. I was planning on doing so anyway, because the inlaws were arriving, but it was two hours earlier than planned. So I debated for a bit and decided that no, despite the daycare woes, I would NOT go pick up The Girl that early, but I would -- goddammit -- take some time to myself which I haven't had (barring two haircuts) in well over a YEAR, here, people. I had a gift card for a local bookstore so I strolled down and went to look at books ...

And ended up spending my entire hour in the kids section, picking up three books for my son and one for my daughter. Not only did I not buy anything for myself, I didn't even make it to the adult section except for a cursory glance at the new arrivals section.

I say this not to tout my own skills and dedication as a mother, but rather to roll my eyes at myself. I complain about not having enough time for myself, but as soon as I do get some time, I immediately spend it on the the children, if not with them. One might start to think I like my martyrdom. I look lovely in a crown of thorns.

To be fair, I have a lot of books to read since I haven't been able to get to them with the kids around, and there are three books coming out that I want to read -- but one's out late this month, one in June, and one in July, so what's the point of buying new books for me now? I will certainly be spending enough on me later this summer. For books I'll never have time to read.

But I'm not complaining! Secretly, clearly, I like it.

1 comment:

AvenSarah said...

I don't know if this is helpful or will make you despair, but E cried at dropoff at daycare almost every day for 3.5 years. Usually only a minute or two longer after I'd left, but still. And he had lots of fun, loved his caregivers, and frequently didn't want to leave at pickup. But he always cried. It got easier for me to leave him, crying, but never easy.

And then after the first heartwrenching day at kindergarten, he never cried when I dropped him at school. Go figure.

Good luck! xx