Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I swear we expose this child to new things

This afternoon, on the way home:

Him: Mommy, this weekend, I want to go on the bus.

Me: uh, ok, I guess we can do that.

Him: People who go on the bus *mumble mumble* hurt.

Me: Pardon honey?

Him: People who go on the bus get hurt, isn't that right mommy?

Me: No, no honey, people don't get hurt on the bus.

Him: well, they would if the bus squished them.

Me: *slightly alarmed* Busses don't squish people, honey. 

Him: They don't?

Me: No. I'm sure the bus drivers try very hard NOT to squish people.

Him: ... 

Seriously, I do take this child out of the house, and I try not to inflict my neuroses on him. I swear.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

You know? I think buses must look pretty scary from the perspective of a small person in a small car. (Because, let me tell you, from the window of a bus, a small car looks really small.)

You could tell him that if you're trying to avoid being squished by a bus, the safest place to be is, in fact, on the bus. But you probably shouldn't, because it will probably just freak him out more.

Or you can tell him that you know a little girl in Toronto who rides the bus all the time, like every day, and has never yet been squished :)