Thursday, March 5, 2009

I take it back

Remember that I said that I felt worse when my child was sick than when I was? Well I TAKE IT BACK.

Well, not really, but it's true I felt / feel just as awful. I now have this daycare cold (surprise, surprise) and have been feeling ok apart from a sore throat and the truly horrifying nasal congestion. Which made yesterday all that much MORE fun. 

Oh, and did I mention that another of yesterday's highlights was that I finally made two of the best grilled cheese sandwiches of my life. See, the problem I have with grilled cheese is that I never have soft butter to put on the bread. I solve this problem by melting butter in the pan, but this means that it never really sizzles and I almost always get burned bread.

I think we've been over this before, that me and gourmet cook are nowhere near the same ballpark, right?

So as I was saying. I managed to make two gorgeous grilled cheese sandwiches for the boys -- not a burned crumb among them, and gorgeously gooily cheesy, and guess how many bites were eaten. Go on. Guess.

ONE. 1. ONE SINGLE MEASLY BITE.

Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that I'm avoiding wheat for reasons I don't want to go in to (but I suppose having said that are clear -- stomach problems. Clearly one doesn't avoid wheat for, for instance, just the hell of it.) And I MISS IT. And it was all I could do to just look at those sandwiches and then, in the end, throw them out because nothing's grosser than a cold congealed grilled cheese sandwich.

Motherhood. The colds. The wasted efforts. Ah, the tragedies.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Oh dear :(

SP wanted to make homemade hamantashn this year, and said she particularly likes the poppyseed ones. So on Wednesday I shlepped all over the place collecting ingredients -- the poppyseed filling required the longest trek -- and last night we made them, which was fun, but she tried one of the poppyseed ones ... and didn't like it.

Gaaaaa!!!