Monday, March 21, 2011

In other news ...

Rice is evil.

Or: Salespeople always lie.

We have a dishwasher, as I've mentioned. We bought this dishwasher a year ago December, which is to say 15 months ago. It's a great dishwasher. I love it. It's efficient, it's quiet, and it almost always cleans the dishes to a glorious shine.

We did some research before we bought it because our last dishwasher was such a hunk of crap (It was a Maytag, by the way.) The new one is a Bosch. The only thing we didn't love about it is that it didn't come with an internal macerator, which we read was an Excellent Feature.

The salesmen assured us it was not a problem. They showed us the filter. "Not a problem!" they said. "Look how fine the mesh is!" (It is fine. Like a coffee filter.) "Nothing can get through unless it's mushed up by the water pressure! And if it is so mushed it can't clog the drain! And it's easy to remove if you do need to clean it!"

And it was true. Or seemingly.

Because the guy who came and fixed it pulled out rice. Rice and a few seeds. "You don't have a macerator in here," he said. "The drains are clogged."

"They  said the filter would catch that," I stammered.

He looked at me like I was quite possibly the dumbest person alive. "No. You need to rinse the plates."

Now I'm dumb AND a bad housekeeper.

So now I rinse. I rinse to the point of crazy. I rinse yogurt, people. Yogurt. Seriously if the drain can't handle plain yogurt I'm not sure what the world is coming to.

But at least I'll be saving $300 and numerous derisive looks by doing so.

No comments: