Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Perfect until perfection runs out

My daughter ate almost half a tablespoon of cereal this morning. I realize this seems like a tiny amount but the fact that she ATE is such a huge victory that I feel like shouting it to the world. Which I am, kinda, in a very small bloggy way. 

When I talked to the daycare a couple weeks ago in anticipation of a spot, I told them she wasn't eating, and they blithely told me they could handle it. I don't think they realized that I meant she doesn't eat at all vs she kinda maybe doesn't eat much and has only a tiny spoonful here and there. I mean, two weeks ago she wouldn't open her mouth. As good as they are, I don't think they can cope with a year old baby with the eating skills of a five month old. Now I'm estimating that she's at least a seven-month-old equivalent, which isn't awesome but is at least better than a kid who can't cope with anything at all.

* * * * * *

Speaking of care and children, the real point of this post was to say that I met my kid's kindergarten teacher yesterday. We opted for the private kindergarten at workplace, because we heard great things about it, and because it'll hopefully be easier to have the two kids at the same place for another year. And because we might move in another year so the local schools might not be so convenient. Anyway. We had the orientation and I almost fainted in delight at just how freaking awesome this guy is. It's a guy! For one thing. And he used to be a construction worker. (Yeah, wrap your head around that!) so he does a lot of carpentry with the kids, including using power saws (Just let me pause a moment to rid my mind of the image of my fingerless child). He also sews with them. All of his curriculum is based in science, math and reading are taught through science (how many planets? let's read about planets!). He surpasses the provincial requirements for scholastic achievement, even moving into multiplication if the kids are interested, but the focus of his program is still mostly social so that the kids are prepared to move into a bigger school the next year. He gives the kids homework, but it's homework he makes himself, with puzzles and games, and he hand draws it all, hiding pictures of himself through it. It's also all optional but because it's fun, most of the kids do it. Because it's private, there's the head teacher and TWO others in the classroom ALL DAY (including the before and after programs, which are held in the same space), so there's a 1:9 ratio. 

swoon

I mean, if someone had taken my child and made a school for him in mind, they couldn't have come up with a better place. Seriously. I mean, this is five year old heaven. 

And then next year comes the cold stark reality of regular public school. 

Oh I jest, I jest. I spoke to the principal at our local school the other day and they seem really great. She has some great programs and a great attitude and she's passionate about her school. So I'm feeling good about him going there. But no matter how much those teachers love their jobs, they still don't have the resources this school has, and the sheer number of kids they need to accommodate with fewer teachers means no matter how passionate they all are (and it's not just the principal, I spoke briefly to another teacher when I went and registered, and he was extremely nice too), there's a limit. It's not the teachers I'm blaming, at all. It's that most teachers within our system are underpaid and overworked and the little extras are too much to ask. 

It's a system that has been crying out for help for years but the government cannot invest in children. They don't vote!

This last weekend we were having lunch on a nearby grocery patio, and were approached by a man who said he was running for the NDP in the next federal election (for the non-Canadian: he's a strong, strong leftist running for the Canadian, not provincial government) and he needed a bunch of local signatories to say he could run here. After we signed, he asked if we had any questions. I asked his position on a national child care program. I'm a woman in my late thirties sitting with two young children in a nice part of town of the most expensive place in Canada to live, chances are I'm a working parent and I'm HIGHLY in favour of national child care, which I am, so if he'd answered not in favour he'd be pretty stupid, but he said all the right things. 

Next time I want to ask about the state of the schools. Because my daughter is about to be signed into an excellent daycare spot, where she'll stay until kindergarten, so my daycare worries are pretty much done. Next up: fighting for excellence in schools.

Sigh.

No comments: