Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sad for the tuna

I haven't eaten tuna -- except for the very occasional piece of negitoro roll -- since I got pregnant. For those who are counting, that was almost four years ago. I woke up this morning craving tuna, and after I got up searched online for what tuna to buy. I recalled from some years ago that there were some kinds that were safe. I didn't buy them because I was either pregnant or nursing, but since we're pretty much done on the latter for now, I figure -- I'm free! Tuna me baby!

The site I found said that tuna is a moderate risk, and should only be eaten once a month. And while some people would think -- well, today is that day! I think ... uh, if something is so dangerous that I can only eat it once a month, then I'm just not going to eat it at all. They never say that about carrots, you know. Oh, carrots are dangerous, you can only eat one a month! I'm sorry. I think I can only eat something that you get to eat several times a week with no ill result. The once a month thing freaks me out.

The Man and I live in a tiny house that has a tiny footprint given we share the space on the earth with the two townhouses above us. We buy fluorescent bulbs and we recycle and we used cloth diapers. We only use one car, and we walk as often as possible. We live close to work to avoid long polluting commutes. We shower instead of bathe. We try and buy locally, organically, and seasonally. We don't buy more than we need. We are doing everything we reasonably can to protect the environment short of wearing only flax clothes that we made ourselves from plants we grew organically in our backyard ... and it's still not enough. My kid is never going to have the joy of a tuna salad sandwich. And I don't want to sit back and blame other people, the people who must buy a large house in the suburbs and drive long distances to work and don't recycle and own six cars and who buy strawberries in winter from Chile just because they can ... but if we all don't start doing something, what will come next?

No comments: