Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yesterday's creativity


I don't consider myself a terribly creative parent. I think this is likely because I'm not home all day -- surely if I was, I would be searching the internet, the library, and the seven seas for fun, interesting, and creative things to do with a toddler. I'd need to, for my own sanity. 

But on our weekends home and my Wednesdays with The Boy, we stick with the usual -- a playdate here or there, playing with toys, reading books, watching the odd show here and there. And errands. There are always errands. We don't tend to do crafts or create new games to play or go to interesting places to learn where food comes from or something. I know some moms do this. My sister-in-law is a stay-at-home mom and she hand makes all her cards and they are so nice I am sure she has done lots of practice. I know she also has activity baskets put away to bring out each day for her kids. She is a truly creative mom.

Yesterday afternoon, The Boy and I did at least something a little bit creative. The Man works in a place where there are HUGE printers, and so he brings home paper that's wasted or no longer needed. I taped a piece to the floor, and The Boy and I made a seascape with crayons -- waves, plants, sunshine. And then we used his fish stickers from his Christmas stocking to populate the place (I am lousy at drawing fish). And then he decided to name them all, which was truly to most creative part of it (let's face it, making a drawing with stickers ain't exactly Picasso). Above is the result of our efforts. You can see that his naming creativity tends to find variations on a theme, but I think the most hilarious part of it is the number of times I had to scribble out the name because I hadn't written it correctly. Each time I wrote down the names he'd give me, he'd pause, look at it, and say "Yes, that's his name!" or "No, no no!" And then if the latter I had to try again, to discern what he was saying. 

For those who are interested, the fish who are on the sunshine are "cooking".

1 comment:

AvenSarah said...

That's awesome. The names are great! They remind me of the names Eric gives his toys, when we ask -- "Core-tup" and "Con-tup" are two he's repeated fairly frequently, as well as various variants on fricatives that involve lots of lips and spit. Amusing, if incomprehensible...