Saturday, July 18, 2009

Aftermath

Yesterday there were only four of us in the office -- vacation time -- and I spent time in my office with a closed door with two of them, one of them a storm of tears. I think that the planets have aligned so that I am just a magnet for emotional distress these days.

I went for a walk at lunch with one of those colleagues, and I asked her about her sweet and sensitive but emotionally volatile son who is almost five.

"Oh yeah," she said. "Tantrums like that are a regular feature at our house. They're less frequent now and last less long, but definitely. A regular feature."

Knowing that her child, heading into kindergarten, is perfectly socially adjusted and normal, I felt enormously better about my own child's emotional well being.

I do have a tendency to overreact about these things.

Ironically when I dropped off The Kid at daycare yesterday morning, they remarked that he'd had such a GREAT day the day before. So I guess it was just all saved up for me.

Anyway. We shall not dwell on this issue longer. Today it's gorgeous and we're off to the little train in the park ... I think. Providing we can battle our way through the tourists.

1 comment:

JS said...

Here is another idea for a train in a park I discovered during the week:
http://www.findfamilyfun.com/burnabycentralrail.htm