Sunday, July 19, 2009

Small world ...

So the other week I bit the bullet, social phobe that I am, and approached a new (to me -- her kid's been there a while!) mom in the daycare about a playdate. She accepted with alacrity, and we made plans over email to have her and her son, a year older than mine, come to our house this morning for a short while. I was a little nervous about this .. I don't know her well, I don't know her son, and my son has been ... difficult, lately. I hoped it would go well. I knew that with people I know well, my son acting poorly wouldn't be a problem, but first impressions ... well, you know.

They arrived at twenty minutes before the appointed time, while I was still in my nightgown. First impression = AWESOME. We had to send them back around the block.

(And you all wonder why I feel socially awkward. Oh, I know, when someone says 10am and you arrive at 9:40, you have to expect that they won't be ready, and the arriver should probably be the one feeling awkward, but I feel like these kinds of things always happen to me, and I really should have been, you know, DRESSED or something.

Moving on.)

So the playdate went reasonably well. My kid is a tad more immature than hers, so while he (her son) was all playing with the toys and looking at the books like a good child, mine was running about like someone had fed him speed for breakfast (which I hadn't, incidentally). So I'm not sure if they will want to reciprocate, but ... meh. You know, I'm just glad I did it for me.

But they did play very well in The Boy's room for some time, so she and I did small talk for some time, during which time she mentions that her husband had also grown up in Victoria. And then we realized he went to the same high school I did. Four years ahead of me, we figure, but then she says ... hey, but I bet you know his sister!

Uhm. Yeah. I did in fact know his sister. I went to school with her for six years, in fact. We were in the same accelerated program, in fact. We used to, on occasion, RIDE THE BUS TOGETHER. (This is remarkable because it was a city bus, not a school bus ... a lot more chance involved.)

Good Lord.

You know, I suppose it's not all that amazing. There are tons of ex-Victorians living in this city. But still. To find someone living two blocks from me who has a child the same age as mine and who grew up blocks from me and who I know, tangentally?

Still a little weird.

No comments: