Thursday, July 2, 2009

A few steps forward ...

I went to the daycare this afternoon and related my child's wonderful step forward in the hitting and cognitive comprehension of same, and was SO pleased with myself but clearly should have done so this morning since they were not, after today, prepared to believe that he had completely turned over a new leaf, the light gone on in his wee head, into completely angelic behaviour.

And neither had I, but a girl can dream.

They let me know that this morning my child had been playing with another kid, running around and laughing and there was some tapping. And then the play got a little more rough, and they intervened before anyone could cry foul and sat down and explained the situation and showed The Boy how tapping to get someone else to play with him was much less effective and pleasant than simply saying ... hey, wanna play with me?

A certain amount of social awkwardness is alas encoded in my kid's genes.

So I was pleased to hear that -- that they are watching him closely so no one gets hurt and he doesn't misbehave to the point where there must be consequences, that they are helping him figure out what he wants to communicate and then he does so. It's all good, right? It's a learning process. She said she thought he really got it, and some repetition of the situation over the coming days will really help. So hooray! He's taking it in, he's processing, he's testing, he's being helped, it will all get better!

Right?

And then at lunch he took his cup of water and emptied it over another kid's head. And then lied about the fact that the same kid had done the same to his own (totally dry) head.

Sigh.

No comments: