Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Some times, you just have to laugh

I have a three year old. I've mentioned this, lo, once or twice before. Any person out there familiar with three year olds will realize that one of the favourite tactics of the three year old is the "I didn't hear you" tactic.

And it works, of course. I HATE being ignored by my child.

So taking a cue from my sister, I introduced the concept of teasing my child about his "listening ears". When he's not listening, for instance, going over and checking to see where his listening ears are, and making sure he has them on. At other times, just saying "put on your listening ears!" or "Where are you listening ears?" It's perhaps a little heavy handed, but it's been working.

Until this evening.

When my child, who was being naughty, was asked where his listening ears were. And he dutifully mimed putting them on, and then immediately mimed it again. "I'm putting on my naughty ears" he said. "When I'm done with these, I'll put my listening ears back on."

So much for that technique. Any new suggestions?

No comments: