Thursday, September 10, 2009

Perceptions: Challenged

S0 I recently watched the movie version of Mamma Mia. I'd seen the stage show some years ago and remember watching it with a mixture of amusement and incredulity -- would it get any more bizarre? Oh. Yes.

The movie version was more of the same, but with my nostalgic weakness for ABBA songs and my great enjoyment of the silly, I really enjoyed the romp. It was fun. And the scenes of Meryl Streep jumping on her bed, dancing in the streets to Dancing Queen were just ... fantastic.

It's changed my perception of her forever, which in this case is a good thing. I always thought she was an amazing woman and actor, good at what she did, but now I can see that she can also have some fun.

However, my perception of Colin Firth ... sigh. Let's just say that I've long harboured a soft spot for Mr. Darcy, and the vision of him gyrating in a bad seventies costume at the end ....

Yikes.

I think there will need to be a great deal of P&P watching to remove that image from my mind.

No comments: