Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Novel

From about the time I learned to read I wanted to be a writer. Somewhere along the line I became convinced I wouldn't be ... and yet here I am. Writer for money.

But the one thing that I learned in the intervening thirty years is that writing for money isn't that hard.

However, writing what you want for money is.

I write all day. I'm currently writing a document that will justify the construction of a new building. Yes, it's scintillating. I write a bunch of stuff on topics I never even considered before they hit my desk, and while much of it is pretty interesting, it's really only because I have a fairly loose definition of "interesting".

And while I would very much like to earn money writing what I want, writing literary fiction is a very, very hard way to make a living. I always figured if I did so, I would probably write genre fiction -- romance or fantasy novels. I like to read 'em. They sell. Ergo they make money, and you don't find yourself up until the wee hours of the morning scribbling in a journal to write, because you have to keep your day job.

Or maybe you do, but the possibility of that is less.

So I read this article with some interest. The idea that novels with a good plot that carry the reader along -- at this time, often confined to supermarket racks and I suppose not considered "good writing" -- are making a comeback.

And I could not be more thrilled. Not just because let's face it, I'm hardly a high brow reader myself. But because making a living from writing that I like doing? Might not be as impossible as I once thought.

1 comment:

erin said...

This is very interesting... see, I can't actually see you writing one of those supermarket novels, you are too good a writer! What I'm trying to say is that you should totally, 100% go for it because I think what you would end up with would be a novel with a good plot that carries readers along, but is really well-written... and thus sells more and attracts even more readers.

Have you read anything by Tana French? Her second book (The Likeness) is just what you were talking about. Amazing plot, couldn't put the book down, had that moment 100 pages in when I realize I AM READING ONE OF THOSE BOOKS. I love that moment, when you fall helplessly in love with a book. (or is that just me?) Anyway, my point is that it not only has an awesome plot, but is really well-written. I think you would write something wonderful like that. I vote do it!! I need something awesome to read. :)