Monday, August 31, 2009

The WORST has HAPPENED

Tomorrow morning a whole new crop of kids starts at the daycare.

And we received notice that there will be NO MORE PEANUTS.

(And no more shell fish, either, but that's less of a deal since I didn't often put crab legs in my kid's lunch.)

I admit that I hyperventilated a little at the news. My kid LIKES peanut butter, and it's EASY and CHEAP and good for him, too. And I'm kind of feeling put out that now there's a reason I can't give my kid what I want to in his lunch. And explaining it to him? Even worse! Why can't I have my favourite sandwich, mommy? Uh, well, it could kill your classmate??!

I feel for the parent. I do. And if I had a kid with allergies, I'd want a safe place for them to go to so that they could do all the fun stuff other kids do, and I could work and etc.

But this is all about me, being my blog, so let me just have a moment of self-pity and feeling kind of angry at the situation and put out.

Between this and the fact that my kid cried on the way home today because there's going to be another kid with his name ... well ... ugh. I'm just all annoyed at the whole place right now.

** I may be overreacting just a tad to all of this. **

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Oh. Yes. The peanut thing.

Have I mentioned that our entire school system is peanut- and nut- free -- not SP's class because there's an allergic child in it, not her school because there are several allergic children in it, but all public elementary schools in the city (and the daycares located therein) just in case -- and how annoying that is? (No bake sales. No homemade Valentine treats, or Halloween treats, or birthday treats -- you can bring treats, but they have to be store-bought, in a sealed package, and identified as nut- and peanut-free. They can be as full of additives, artificial food dyes, preservatives, and high-fructose corn syrup as you like, of course.)

And how much we are not doing dangerously allergic kids a favour by artificially manipulating their environment so that everything is safe?

It's different for little kids, of course: a three-year-old doesn't have the same ability or inclination to ask if that thing is safe for him to eat, to say no to things that might not be safe, to resist the yummy-looking thing that has the allergen in it, to refrain from contact with potentially contaminated non-food objects, etc. Someone has to be looking out for them. So if the daycare has made this rule because there are going to be kids in the class who are actually allergic, I get that. But, yeah, super inconvenient and annoying.

Are all nuts banned, or just peanuts? Because if it's just peanuts, you could try The Boy on almond butter or cashew butter, and see if he likes either of those. (NOT cheap, though.) I've also heard of this stuff called "pea butter" which allegedly tastes just like peanut butter, but isn't ... never actually tried it, though.

I suppose one could look at this as an opportunity to investigate new and interesting varieties of cheese and cold cuts :P