Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sewing notes

The machine that I have was apparently introduced in 1933. The model that I have I think dates from 1941 -- based on the online photos I found, the 1933 model has a slightly different motor ... and the little god send instruction booklet I have has 1941 on it*. So I wasn't far off in my 80 year remark ... almost 70 years. I think the needle is a little dull, but so far that's the only problem I can find with it. Which seems like it would be nothing, but I think that the effort the machine needs to go to to pierce material with a dull needle will eventually throw it off, and cause major repair work.

I'd hate my family legacy to be the one person who finally killed the little sewing machine that could.

It's amazing how little sewing machines changed from the 1940s to the 1980s. I just kind of made guesses on how things might work (the little booklet didn't tell all) based on what I remember from my mom's sewing machine from the 1980s, and it was pretty much all correct. I guess there's not much need to improve on something that is fundamentally sound in design, but people these days seem to redesign things whether or not it's needed, just because they can. So it's kind of amazing to find something that is basically the same in my grandmother's lifetime as it was in my mother's.

I imagine if I went and bought a sewing machine myself today, I would be completely baffled by it.

Today it rains, which is needful and which my tomatoes I'm sure appreciate, but it's Sunday morning, there is no father, and I have pretty much run out of material to sew with (unless we want more beanbags, and I think the seven I made yesterday really should suffice for one household) ... and the quilting store is not open until noon. The only question in my mind is .... what should I make next?

Oh, and ... what will I DO for the next four hours??!

* Amazing how when I thought about dating the machine, I went to the internet first, and only secondarily remembered to, you know, check the actual machine and it's assorted accoutrements. Which of course had a date right on them.

1 comment:

Soja said...

Eek! Yes get needles! One needle lasts about 8 hours sewing, after that it isn't sharp - and if it is bent it can damage the machine and bobbin. I learnt to sew on my mum's 1960s machine, and used by Nan's non-electric treadle machine - honestly the sew the straightest line - better than the modern machines. Happy sewing - just going to catch up and read the rest of your posts now...Hope cats are better, they'll forgive you. Jaffa attacked me so badly at the vets I had to go to hospital, but we are friends again now. And Leonard is always always good.