Monday, August 10, 2009

It's ALL I can THINK about

So I am terribly bored with the knitting I have right now and all I can think about is going back to that quilting store and buying stuff to make a quilt.

A real quilt. Something large enough to wrap around me while I read or (ha ha) knit. Or just plain relax (Oh, wait, THAT never happens.)

I haven't taken into account that my living room is a terribly poor place to house a sewing area in addition to all the other furniture, and we have no other space.

I haven't taken into account that I have a terrible record of finishing things (see: knitting projects, bored of, mentioned above), especially things that require me to spend time away from the couch, and it's really terrible to spend so much money on something that will get 1/4 of the way finished and then languish in an annoying place in my home.

I haven't taken into account that the pincushion alone gave me hours of grief because I couldn't figure out the proper seam allowance.

I haven't taken into account the fact that I need new needles for this machine, and it really would be good to get a tune up for it before I use it for something other than beanbags lest I break the darn thing by forgetting to oil the motor. And I have no idea where to get this all done.

I haven't taken into account that I really have no idea what I'm doing having never made a quilt before.

But I just don't WANT to make a sampler one for hanging on the wall. I have no where to hang it, and I prefer paintings. I don't want to make pot holders (I have enough) or placemats (I never use them) or oven mitts (have them) or a table runner (don't have the table for it). I don't need another pincushion. I don't want a quilted bag.

I am not quite sure what to do.

3 comments:

erin said...

I say go for it! Look how excited and passionate you are about it... just do it, forget about all the reasons you shouldn't. :) Then post pics as you go along so we can all see!

wealhtheow said...

You could make me some placemats ... ;)

Soja said...

Big quilts don't have to be time consuming - it's sewing not knitting ;-)

Go for a simple design/finish with fabrics you love, there are so many different designs out there.

And if you get bored, just stick it in the post to me and I'll finish it!