Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Huh

We have a book -- a children's book -- about medieval castles. This should not come as a surprise to any of you who know me in real life, and perhaps not to many of you who have been reading for a while. It's a flap book, so you can SEE INSIDE the castles and see the various areas thereof and see some of the activities that take place there. Like jousts. And banquets. Banquets with trumpets and food and boys serving wine. (It's a very romantic view of castlery. But they do at least show the smithy and kitchens and such as well.) Which is what I think led to this exchange this morning. At 5am, no less.

Boy: I've never served wine.

Me: hzzzrkkk ... wha?

Me: Did you just say you've never served wine?

Boy: Yeah, I've never served wine. Boys only serve wine at banquets.

Me: [cluing in] We have very few banquets here.

Boy: Yeah. So I've never served wine. [pause] You probably have to be four.

Me: Yes, I imagine there is an age limit.

Every once in a while I sit and think to myself -- I wonder what goes on in that little head of his? And heck, NOW I KNOW. Just wish he could wait until, say, 7am, to enlighten me.