Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Day Yarn Haul


The white / cream on the left is pure alpaca, fingering weight. Then an aran weight black cashmere, for a hat, and the green on the right is sock yarn, part merino and part cashmere. Gorgeous!

The brown in the middle is -- get this -- bison. Bison underhair, softest thing I think I've ever knit with, and that includes the cashmere. Not dyed, just spun. I couldn't stop touching it, and have already cast on for a delicate lace scarf. I will post photos. Not that the lace looks great while knitting it, of course.

I'm very thrilled with the bison -- there are four skeins, and I think the scarf will only use one, or maybe one and a half. I might consider some mittens or gloves to go with it. I will be very warm next winter.

The other gift highlights were a gorgeous necklace from my darling man, and some very nice maternity clothes picked out by my three year old. Surprising, perhaps, but very nice.

And now I just need to get rid of the mess of recycling in my living room.

2 comments:

wealhtheow said...

So pretty! Almost makes me wish I knew how to knit ... ;)

Anonymous said...

Bison are wonderful animals and have more hair follicles to the square inch the cattle -- one reason they can survive the prairie winters out of dorrs.