Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The hell?

I was at our work holiday function this afternoon -- these are a group of people I don't see often, because our "office" as a whole is about 50-60 people, but I only see about 10 of them regularly. So many don't know I'm expecting, because I don't randomly visit other people's offices just to tell them my breeding news, strangely enough. Over the course of the party I talked with a lot of people who were either a.) carefully making sure they were making eye contact and NOT MENTIONING THE BELLY or b.) making some carefully guarded hints, and interesting conversation that would lead me to say something. You know, like, "So, what's NEW with YOU??" while eyeballing my stomach. Because, and I have to say it myself, the belly, she ain't subtle. You don't gain weight in a basketball on your stomach and no where else. (luckily, so far.)

But by far, the weirdest comment? Especially as a conversation opener? "Hey, are you sitting on a nest?"

Because ... what?? I actually almost looked behind me to see what I *was* sitting on, to see if I had inadvertently sat on something strange. It took me several minutes to parse together what she meant. And ... nest? I mean, I know they refer to parts of pregnancy as "nesting" but ... still! I am not a bird! I do not lay eggs! If I did, this whole process might be easier! And what's with the animal references? Do people not have babies?? This is definitely the strangest thing anyone has said to me since I was told that I was a "good cow" when The Boy was a newborn and gaining weight well while I was breastfeeding. Because hello! MAMMALS make milk. Just because I do too doesn't make me BOVINE.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

"Sitting on a nest?" That's a new one.

Maybe it's the 2009 version of "Expecting a visit from the stork" ;^)