Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Broccoli!!

This morning my daughter stole the raw broccoli from my lunch and was so delighted with it OMG MOM THIS IS SO AWESOME I SHALL SHRIEK IN DELIGHT AND THEN CRY WHEN I DROP IT WHY HAVE I NEVER HAD THIS TO PLAY WITH BEFORE OMG OMG.

Really the blog post title should be OMFG BROCCOLI!!!1!

* * * * * * * * *

I started Christmas shopping today. I planned to start early given I'm on leave this year and, well, for me, November 16 IS early. I simply cannot get into the mindset in October. There is nothing that my daughter needs -- last of four grandkids, she has more clothes and toys than she needs. But I got it into my head that she needs a dolly. A doll for a girl, we don't have any. A doll of her own and it has somehow become vitally important that *I*, as her mother, buy her this doll that she will love forever and ever.

She will probably ignore the doll. Especially in favour of the pretty crinkly paper!

Or the broccoli, which apparently I should wrap up under the tree.

So like any other completely obsessed and crazy mother, I searched for this doll. The internet, I mean, not the real world (drrr! Too much work!) And I found the dolls I wanted. Oh, I found them. Adorable! Dressable! Cuddly! Pink! Imported! A baby for my baby! I located the website and found a nearby store that carries the line (Corelle, if you are interested.). And this morning when I could resist temptation no longer, I went to find the Perfect Doll.

(She is STILL playing with the broccoli, BTW.)

And I found the dolls, and they are oh so pretty but ...

OH dear God they are scented.

To smell like babies, I suppose, but LORD Oh, LORD no.

Any of you old enough to remember Cabbage Patch Kids may remember the first line of them were scented like baby powder. And I remember that at first whiff it was kind of cute but holding them close for anything longer than 15 minutes was nauseating. And holding and smelling that doll today ... Yeah, no matter how adorable and wonderful this doll is, if I have to smell it for the next two years I will probably DIE.

My love for the idea of the perfect doll was so great that I almost bought it, until I happened upon the cheap section at the back for babies and found an adorable soft Gund doll dressed in purple corduroy with yarn pigtails and realized in fact that the doll I had wasn't perfect, but this one was. It was not quite $20, and probably was made in China.

But it's the doll I can see my daughter carrying with her as she starts to toddle around the house. So it's ours now.

She's now mouthing the broccoli. Clearly this is the start of a passionate and unrequited love. Good thing she has the doll. Showing up to daycare with a child and a head of broccoli as a comfort toy would be very hard to explain.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

ROFL XD XD

SP had one of those Corolle dolls (a very small one) when she was wee, that someone got her as a gift. It was so cute, but the smell, EEEEWWWWW. (And, a word to the wise, they are still making Cabbage Patch Kids and they still smell like baby powder. Très nasté.) I'm glad you found something nicer :)