Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Weirdnesses

So I'm shopping in the grocery store this morning. My daughter is in a sling, with a hat. I get comments on her a lot -- she's a baby, for one thing. And she has big blue eyes, and that draws people in. So I'm standing in line to pay and a stranger comes up -- an older lady. White hair, but not elderly, so maybe 60-ish? 70 maybe? And she coos at the baby. This in itself is not surprising.

But then ... then without even initiating another conversation with me ("how old?" "boy or girl?" You know. The usual.) she leans in and says conspiratorially, "Breastfed?"

And I stammer out yes because although I'm shocked and I think it's a little inappropriate, I'm trained to be nice and so I answer.

And she pats my shoulder (!!) and makes approving noises and then makes a few other comments and goes on her way.

But here's the thing: As I've already said here I'm still breastfeeding our daughter and I'm not exactly shy about it. I'm a vocal supporter of same for other mothers as well, so I can't quite understand why I thought her asking me was weird. I mean, if I'll tell the wider internet, why not some stranger in the grocery store? And it's not just the internet -- most friends and relations know I breastfeed too.

Was it that we weren't chatting? That that was all she asked? I am perplexed.

* * * * * * * *

Speaking of weirdness, turns out my daughter's quirky love of broccoli wasn't a one time thing. We had some for dinner on the weekend and she went nuts over a stalk again. And the next morning, we put some on her high chair tray with some other toys. Guess what she went for, with shrieks of delight? The broccoli.

Today however, I'm encouraging her fickleness, and managed to get dinner prepared while she was absorbed for 20 minutes with a slice of apple.

Now if she'd just eat something.

2 comments:

erin said...

Maybe it was the implied judginess in her question? Like the "right" answer was "Yes, breastfed" and if you'd said no she would have shamed you. Which is rude, I mean, she's a stranger.

wealhtheow said...

No, that was weird. No context for the question at all. Normally people at least tell you the baby is cute and ask how old s/he is before asking about your feeding practices ;^)