Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembering

We aren't at a remembrance ceremony today. We aren't planning to go. I don't even have a poppy given I carry my baby everywhere and I deemed the close proximity of her eyes and a sharp pin too dangerous.

But I write this as an exercise, as a statement that I too remember. I remember and acknowledge the many sacrifices those who went before us made to make a place where today my children are safe and healthy. I recognize and honour the people today who continue to fight that fight for us.

I tell my son about his great-grandfather who was in the navy. He's four. That's exciting. Someday I'll tell him that his other great-grandfather who worked for MI6 in London during the Second World War. When he's 14, that will be exciting.

And I hope by telling him, keeping their stories alive, that when he's 21 he'll remember, and think, and advocate for peace.

No comments: