Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Comfort Food. In August. Oh, and an existential crisis.

Vancouver has decided that summer is unequivocally over, and had replaced the hot temperatures that we had fleetingly for three weeks ("summer") with cold, damp, rainy weather. I grew up on the west coast, and this weather doesn't faze me; in fact I admit somewhat sheepishly that I like it. It feels cozy and homey and bizarrely comforting. There's nothing I like more than listening to rain outside, while I am curled up inside with tea and a good book and warm food.

This was all possible before the Toddler arrived. 

But as much as I am not a fan of hot weather -- I burn, I've had suspicious moles removed, I am a walking advertisement for sunscreen -- even I have felt that this summer was somehow ... lacking. And as I sat in my office yesterday wondering what I wanted for dinner, I suddenly realized I was craving spaghetti and meatballs -- lots of carbs, in other words. OH. COMFORT FOOD. 

It's AUGUST. In August, I should still be eating salad. 

It's not so much really that I rue the changing of the seasons, it's more that I am sad about how fast the time is going. My child is two and a half! It's been over three years since I was nauseous and pukey with morning sickness! Three years! Where has the time gone? And as much as I feel exhausted by the constant needs of a child, I realize that in mere moments I will have a teenager who comes out of his room only for sustenance and never talks to me! And then an empty house with occasional visits for Christmas! How is it possible that the weeks seem to speed by faster and faster each passing year?? Where is my life going? AAAAIIIIIEEEE!!!!

*******

yes, I did get all that from spaghetti. It's possible that I project a leetle too much.

1 comment:

erin said...

I don't know, I think you got all that from the fact that summer barely showed up this year. It's making everyone itchy and a little crazy here in Seattle.

I love fall, I love that cozy feeling you were describing, and I love curling up with a cup of tea and a good book. I am quite sure I will do just that this weekend. But hot damn! I yearn for some sunshine.

Anyway, I was just thinking the other day that I'm ever so glad you started a new blog. I love keeping up with you and hearing all the hilarious stories about the little man.