Thursday, August 7, 2008

Today

Today my son ate macaroni and cheese with broccoli mixed in to give him some kind of healthy food, and he sat and ate the broccoli out of the bowl and left the macaroni. Who is this child?

+++++++++++++++++

Today it was 27 degrees outside AND in my office. Not exactly conducive to working.

+++++++++++++++++

Today I got to hold a colleague's baby. He's two months old. His mom was busy, and he started fussing. I took him, held him up to my shoulder, and started bouncing. He calmed. He eventually rested his head on my chest. And fell asleep. In about ten minutes.  And after he started getting hot, I put him in his carrier, and he did wake, or cry, or begin fussing again. 

I never had that baby. I remember bouncing and walking for literally hours some days. And putting the child down once he was sleeping always resulted in wailing within minutes. No matter how awake / asleep he was, at that age I always had to lie with him. I would have been completely mental without the ability to co-sleep. 

And every once in a while when this happens, I think, Thank God it wasn't me. I always said it was just the baby, it was just my son and that's how he was. But all along, when people told me I was just doing it wrong, I believed them. And this? This says no. This says I can soothe a fussy baby, and put him to sleep, and he won't wake from being put down. It's not that I'm doing it wrong. It's just that my son was the way that he was. And is. 

It's nice to have a little personal affirmation on a Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is SO TRUE. I used to be famous for putting babies to sleep ... and then, as you know, I got the mother of all comeuppances with my own.

I can still put other people's babies to sleep like that. So it can't be me. But you're right, it's startlingly easy to succumb to that idea when people keep telling you over and over that you're just doing it wrong...