Sunday, August 17, 2008

Playdate

Several weeks ago, the mother of one of The Boy's favourite daycare friends had herself another baby. I offered to have her son by for a playdate so as to give her a little break -- I cannot imagine having a two year old and a newborn, and I thought she would probably be desperate for a little time. She gladly accepted, and a few weeks ago I was run ragged by two little boys behaving crazily around the house.

Today I went to her place, and left The Boy with her. He and his friend had been very enthusiastic about the playdate idea, and in fact had talked it up a lot at the daycare, so we felt quite pleased by this idea of the playdate exchange -- once every few weeks at her place, once every few weeks at ours. A break! A fun time for the kids! What could be better?

When I mentioned to The Boy earlier this week that I had set up a playdate for him for today at the friend's place, he was quite pleased. We chatted about it for a while, and then I mentioned that I would leave him here, and I would go shopping. Or something. But something to get his head around the idea that I would not be there. 

This was not popular. He mulled it over for a while, and said that he wanted me to stay. I said no, I'd need to go shopping. He then offered to go with me. When I asked if he wouldn't rather play with his friend, he then offered the possibility that he AND his friend AND the friend's mommy could come shopping WITH us. I allowed as how the friend and friend's mommy probably weren't really in to that. 

We let the topic drop, but I wasn't feeling optimistic about my chances for leaving the house Sunday morning. After all, he is somewhat of a clingy child. He's fine if either me or The Man are with him, happy enough to go about and do his own thing, but he's not keen on us leaving. He hated daycare to start with, and has gone through several periods of bad separation anxiety about my leaving, especially around the time The Man was going on business trips a lot. This is the way it is with being two.

Today as we drove I brought the topic back up again, and it was met this time with anxious acceptance, but not denial, which I thought was a good sign.

And then we arrived, and I sat and chatted for a while, and he played, and then I stood up and said, "OK! Mommy's going to go now!" 

And he replied, "Ok! Bye!"

You just never can tell, right?


No comments: