Sunday, February 1, 2009

Knitting News

So yesterday on our date I dragged The Man to the knitting store. I know, I know, that's hardly a date. But I needed some new needles for the other pair of socks. I'm using 2.25mm, and I have bamboo and they are warped from how tightly I clutch them in my hot little hands. I know I should probably learn to knit looser, but I can't exactly go back and unwarp needles. 

Such a hardship, buying new ones.

Even more of a hardship was that of course the LYS doesn't supply 2.25mm metal needles (which I was going to buy, honest!) in sets of five. And I hate knitting in the round in sets of four. So I HAD to buy Lantern Moon needles (imagine hand to forehead, woe is me!). I found the new Sox Stix, which are shorter and made for socks and I immediately went back to the car and switched them over (what? You don't carry sock knitting with you everywhere?) and I've been knitting this morning and Dear Lord they are nice. Not only are they just the right size but they are just ... perfect. By which I mean ... I don't know, the yarn slides over them perfectly. They are just so haptically pleasing. Here's the link.

The next sweater I want to knit is this one. However, I realized belatedly that the yarn she uses for this is her own yarn, and so therefore is not easily found anywhere else. Now I can probably find a substitute, but neither her yarn nor any substitute I can find some in less than $100. More like $125-$150, and I am just hesitating spending that much money on a sweater. Now I could potentially get a lot of use from it, since in the right colours I could easily wear something like that to work and on the weekend, but ... Yowsas. That's a lot of cash to spend when I could run down three blocks and buy a sweater at the store for half that. Now I do figure that spending 20+ hours on such an item AND wearing it in place of another bought sweater would mean that my hobby comes out at less than $5 per hour, which is not too bad for a hobby, since going to a movie or out to dinner would work out to far more money. 

But you know, I could get a book from the library for free and get just as much pleasure from it, so it's not like it's a cheap hobby either. 

Anyway, I will think about it. Perhaps if someone asks me what I want for my birthday which is coming up in two months I will ask for yarn ... 

No comments: