Saturday, February 21, 2009

What was she thinking I would do with it?

This evening The Man and I went out on another date. We did a few errands, went to the game store, and went to an early dinner at a nearby sukiyaki restaurant. 

The restaurant does a typical (so I am told) Japanese sukiyaki, wherein they give you a hotplate at the table, and a pot with broth in it, and you cook your vegetables and meat and noodles etc. on it. Apparently in Japan they also supply you with a raw egg, which you crack into a small bowl and dip the meat into as it's cooked. 

This kind of grosses me out, so I always leave the egg. They bring it, in a bowl, and I leave it. The Man likes this, and eats his egg. 

The Man also eats more than I do so I was sitting for a while as he finished his meal; when he was finished he turned off the (propane) hotpot, stacked the dirty dishes. They came over to clear, and took the dishes away, our cups and empty drinks, and cleared up the hotpot. And the egg.

And let me just say for the record that it was clear we were done eating. There was no food on the table, no hotpot to cook it, no meat to dip in the egg. No more vegetables. Not even a drink. 

But she picked up the egg last, and then turned to me and said "Are you sure you don't want the egg?"

And I just blinked, and then said slowly ... "No, thanks." Because at that point? What was she expecting, that I'd take the egg and eat it whole? Bring it home for breakfast? Put it in my pocket for later, like a little shelled doggy bag??

I feel sure that somehow I violate some obscure and ancient Japanese custom and now will become severely allergic to sushi as punishment. Which would be, for the record, a fate worst than death. 

1 comment:

Soja said...

Don't worry - I requested 'no egg' a lot in Japan and no one seemed to mind. Sometimes the egg was cracked into the broth, cooked in it, and eaten as a soup. Different dish I expect. Can't imagine anyone taking it home in their pocket! Weird.