Monday, March 1, 2010

Fickle

There's one daycare teacher who tells me often that The Boy is very popular with the girls. I don't know if I believe this -- I have never once seen him playing (at least on purpose -- proximity being another story) with any girl, and if asked to name his best friends (as we did this morning, narrowing down a list for a small birthday party), they are all boys. But I don't mind being told; regardless, I'm glad he's not mean to little girls, and if they like him that's a great thing in my mind.

This afternoon she informed me that one girl had told her that The Boy was her boyfriend. Apparently The Boy heard this, and didn't deny this unassailable truth. (Said girl is going to be very disappointed not to be invited to the birthday party.)

However, later that day another small girl returned to daycare (many people were away over the Olympics). This is a girl that The Boy actually HAS mentioned to me, several times, because "she plays SUPERHEROES". The tomboy, I'm guessing, and by looking at her, I can believe it. Not because of how she looks, per se (just as "girly" as any other girl), more because she's often actually playing with the boys.

And at her hallowed appearance, apparently, The Boy abandoned girl #1 unceremoniously and was joyously reunited with girl #2.

Word is still out on how girl #1 took this abandonment.

I don't know if I should be sad or amused that junior high starts as early as three.

No comments: