Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday brain dump

The house still looks like a bomb hit it, and I'm sorely missing that hour of sleep that got left behind last night with daylight savings. But I DO have a new pair of yoga pants that will likely be work-wearable, since like last pregnancy I have not so much grown out of everything, but any pant-like item without total give around my belly is so damn uncomfortable that I cannot cope by mid-day. So yoga pants it is! To hell with work place attire!

I did get a pretty shirt to go with in the hopes it will distract from the fact that I'm wearing leisure wear at the office. And I do have a single skirt for meeting days. BUt that's it, until I go on leave. Hope it lasts ... there's nothing like buying new mat clothes two months from the end of what will be your last pregnancy.

The child is reveling in the new toys, and what's more -- is reveling in the toys that his small friends discovered in his room (meccano! remember that, from Christmas? It's cool again!) Which has been nice, his playing for significant periods on his own. It DOES mean that the house is still crazy, but we're under a new maxim here, much like "never wake a sleeping baby", it's now "never disturb a preschooler playing on his own." So clean up is put off in the desperate need for time resting on behalf of his father and me.

We were relieved to find that most of the parents stayed behind yesterday, which was nice -- there was one we hadn't had a playdate with ever, and so it was nice getting to know her. In the course of the afternoon she confessed that her son, heading into kindergarten this fall, still had some issues he needed to work out before then, and she was feeling stressed, and really I do think that this is one of the major advantages of parent friends: feeling not so alone in parenting. The other day one of them allowed as how she had completely lost her patience with her son the night before, and I confessed my crying fest, and I think we both felt just SO much better. It's nice to know other parents, who always seem so calm and competent, and whose children seem so angelic at my house, also have the same challenges. I mean, you always know it on a theoretical level -- children are children after all -- but it's nice to know the concrete.

Where was I?

God only knows.

The other item of note that came out yesterday was the knowledge that, should this baby arrive as early as the last one, it will be here in a month. A MONTH. Seriously, five weeks from now. AIIIEEEEE. Nothing is ready. Nothing at all. Which is fine, we're not new at this, I know what I need and I also know that we can cope for a day or two with diapers and a few outfits. (One of the dads from yesterday asked me if I was all prepared for the baby. "No," I laughed. "Not at all!" "That's the right answer," he replied. "If you'd said yes, you'd be lying." I wasn't sure what to make of that. Commiseration that no one's ever ready? Commenting on my housekeeping? I'll go with the former (I certainly took it so at the time.) but now that I'm repeating it, it does seem a strange thing to say.)

Anyway. We have some time. And my mom is coming in a couple of weeks for the weekend so that The Man and I can go away, and I am sure by the time I get home she'll have re-arranged The Boy's bedroom and washed some baby clothes for me, so ... no worries. Thank God for mothers, right?

No comments: