Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weekend babymoon

It feels a little silly to call it that, being parents already -- we're kind of old hat at this -- but this weekend regardless The Man and I have hied ourselves to a nearby hotel (truth be told, ten minutes from home. Not because we are so afraid to be farther from our preshus baybee, but because we live ten minutes from downtown, and that's where the nice hotels are). My mother is at my home with The Boy, who is behaving wonderfully even if he did get out of bed this morning and unlace her shoes partway before knotting them together. I'm wondering if he was just puzzled as to what to do with himself.

Last night was the second night I have spent away from that child in the four plus years since his birth; I remember the first, back in November, for The Man's birthday, I went into with some trepidation, but this weekend I have been looking forward to for weeks. I feel a little bad about this, but I am just so damn tired and I just wanted some time to sit and rest for a while. We booked two nights this time, so I have all darn day today to sit. And sitting I am. I slept from 9:30pm until just past seven this morning, and then lay around until 9:30am. Then I got up, had a shower, and had a massage -- for almost ninety minutes, hallelujah! And lunch and now I've sent The Man off to a movie and I get to sit. Alone. In a quiet hotel room. And ...

-- oh, the joy of it. --

do what *I* want to do.

For the record, I do love being a parent, but it's been a 24/7 job for four years (and when he's at daycare, *I'm* at work, so it's not like I'm sitting about eating bon-bons), and it's nice to finally have a break.

There's a book, there's knitting, there are movies and there's even TV (although every single time I come to a place with TV, I am more and more convinced that we can live without one forever. The inane programming! The ads! The timing of the good shows for moments when you can't actually watch! Gah!)

It helps me let the week roll off my back. The week of bad sleep, grumpy family, annoying work, work and replacement issues, and all kinds of other things that just didn't help me relax.

And now I'm going to pick up that book, get a drink and some chocolate, and just sit.

And I can't wait.

No comments: