Tuesday, July 6, 2010

This is your brain on sleep deprivation

I should have known. I should have, even without experience. When I woke up Sunday morning the first thing that hit was the headache. The tight-band-around-the-head awfulness with the occasional migraine throb thrown in for fun. Then I realized that my body hurt. All over. And the kicker? The engorgement. The nastily painful engorgement that strangely got no less painful with nursing.

My legs felt like lead. I wanted nothing more than to go back to bed but dammit this was the only part of the weekend I was really looking forward to, lunch out with The Man. So I gulped a couple advil and got dressed. After all. It was just engorgement. And muscle pain from the bad bed and carrying a baby. And a headache. I get those all the time. All of them. Together. But heck! It's nothing!!

Out we went. I felt a tiny bit better. But that afternoon I felt worse again ... But just took two more for the pain and kept on going. I didn't have a fever! Nothing can be wrong!

That night I slept poorly. I kept waking up. The first time? FREEZING. Man, it's cold in this basement! The second time, same thing. The third -- man, am I ever HOT. Who put all these covers on me?

And let's not forget the 3am hour of sobbing because clearly I have breast cancer what with this pain and all. Teh crazy, she comes with fever and exhaustion, apparently.

Yes, clearly, I had my first brush with mastitis. Two days on, things are fine. The second day after the mild fever broke I still had some pain, and now I'm just tiiiiiii-red. Very very.

It just makes me shake my head in wonderment. I know about mastitis. I know it's common. The midwives and my doctor talked about it, what to expect, what to do. I never had it with The Boy and wasn't expecting to get it this time I guess. But this one only wakes once a night, and I'd slept funny the other night on that side.

Never thought I'd be wishing for a kid who nursed MORE at night.

No comments: