Thursday, May 20, 2010

Aftermath of the nursing cover-ups

When The Man's parents called a few days ago, they asked eagerly what was in the package from their church. I had told them it had arrived, but hadn't opened it at the time; I figured that that gift might be nice to open when The Man was home. His mother was pleased with the gift, and rather mystified to learn that I wouldn't be using them.

"What does she do outside the home?" she asked.

The Man replied that I just nurse the baby, that I wasn't uncomfortable with it, because I was discreet.

"What about other people being uncomfortable?" she asked.

It's hard to tell one's mother in law that you don't give a rat's ass what other people think; I mean, if it makes someone else uncomfortable, they don't have to look. It's not rocket science, people.

Plus there's the fact that I'm not exactly voluptuous in the boob department, even when in the first few weeks of nursing; I think that a C cup would just barely fit right now, and I'll be back to a B in mere weeks once supply and demand levels are established. Between my clothes and the baby, there's astonishingly little to see. You'd really have to get close and personal to see anything other than my chest, and let's face it: to do that, you'll have to know me really well or risk getting whacked upside the head.

I really don't get the whole breastfeeding-is-scary-and-gross thing. I mean, as The Man said this morning ... this is what we are supposed to do. Not just the breastfeeding. The whole reproduction thing. This is what we, as a species, are supposed to do, from an evolutionary point of view. Our whole purpose on earth is to grow up, reproduce, and then die. And yet we spend SO MUCH of our lives not doing this, that when you do it, it suddenly seems weird. And breastfeeding is just part and parcel of that whole evolutionary thing.

Anyway. I shall keep the cover-ups for now. You never know when you might suddenly be transported to an Amish church with your hungry baby and need them. And I know a couple people who are expecting in the next while, and maybe they will want them ... as I said, they are beautifully made, it would be a shame to just get rid of them.

Until then I'll be the one with my kid hanging off my boob down at the local coffee shop, making people uncomfortable.

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

LOL! If I didn't know better, I'd be wondering if we had the same in-laws ...

Well, no, mine wouldn't be that polite. (There was a baby shower for DH's great-niece and her new baby -- yes, y'all read that right -- and not only did great-niece retreat to a bedroom with the door closed every time baby needed to eat -- bringing other proceedings to a standstill -- but when baby's diaper needed changing, we all heard my SIL, the grandma, complaining loudly from the next room about how stinky the said diaper was and asking, "How could such a sweet little baby do such a bad, bad thing?" And I was like o_O because, one, two-week-old-breastfed-baby poop doesn't stink [and SP, who had tagged along in hopes of being helpful and getting to hold the baby finally, confirms that, no, the poop wasn't at all smelly], and, two, WTF?!) (Oh, and also, Worst Baby Shower Card Ever: drawing of baby girl on front of card with text "Why couldn't you have put me in the other jumper?" and on the inside, "This one makes me look fat!" I seriously am not kidding. And everyone laughed. And the card was picked out by SP's 10-year-old cousin, who thought it was hilarious. Sometimes the world is just so incredibly depressing.)

So anyway.

Yeah, the standard North American attitude starts to look unbelievably weird when you look at reproduction and childrearing from a longer-term perspective ...