Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grown

When she was born, her fingernails curved over the ends of her fingers, and the nailbeds beneath them did as well. Concerned, I showed the midwife. She shrugged. "I've seen that before," she said. "They'll straighten out like normal within a few weeks."

They did. She now has perfect little fingernails. Straight, short, ending at the ends of her fingers, like nails should.

Part of me is a little sad. She's my last baby, and she's getting so big so fast. The little newborn things -- wrinkled skin, long fingernails, misshapen head -- are all pretty much gone. She's alert every day for longer periods. She no longer just lays on me and sleeps.

Believe me, I know it's dumb to feel this way. But there you go. Such is motherhood.

I mean, let's face it, once her toenails have grown to the ends of her toes, I'll probably be all weepy. And don't come near me once she's learned to control her arms.

No comments: