Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Unplugged

I haven't sat in my office chair for anything longer than an hour or two since March, but I have checked my work email Every. Single. Day. Seriously. Up until yesterday, I think I checked my work email every day except for maybe the day The Girl was born. Sad, isn't it?

But yesterday I went in, put on my "Out of Office" notice for a year, and removed all the links in my computer for bookmarks / desktop access. I'm unplugged from work, people. It's hard, breaking the addiction. I like my job, for the most part, and I certainly like the social outlet it gives me, the sense of accomplishment, the pride, and the feeling of contributing. Parenthood is wonderful, but you never really get a good year end review and a raise, you know?

I know from experience that the withdrawal will last a shockingly short time, and I will greatly enjoy being away from work this year and spending time with my children.

Aside: I still need to get used to saying that. Children!

So it's a great thing. But wow, feels very weird to not know what's going on ...

No comments: