Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My daughter sleeps

In my arms, on my body. She stretches, she yawns, she opens her mouth. She sleeps on. I can't stop looking at her.

She has the same crazy hairline as her brother, one with a widow's peak and cowlicks at either side. He can cut his hair short to conceal it; I don't know how it will work on a girl.

Her eyes, at birth a grey-blue, are darkening to blue. Her brother had dark blue eyes for his first year, and now they are a beautiful medium brown, expressive and kind. My eyes are blue, their father's are brown. I'm not sure which I prefer. I'm sure I will think they are gorgeous either way.

Her fingernails curve over the tops of her fingers, and the nail beds do too. I'm gently and slowly separating them so the nails don't grow into the skin, and then I will cut them. They are very long. This is all the more ironic given she has almost no toenails.

Her feet are tiny. Her brother's at birth were tiny but wide; hers are just tiny. He still wears smaller shoes than many of his friends.

The hair on her head is dark, but the hair on her shoulders and her eyelashes and eyebrows are so fair as to be hard to see. Her brother had dark hair at birth, as well as dark eyelashes and eyebrows and hair on his body. When the hair on his head fell out, it grew in blond but has slowly darkened. As an adult, he'll have brown hair. Light brown, perhaps. But brown. The Girl will I think be blonder. This is all the more amazing to me coming from a family of entirely dark-haired people; I wasn't blond as a kid. The Man was, although he's brown now.

So it seems that both my children have their father's colouring, but at the moment, both of them have my facial features. Neither seems to have their father's bone structure / nose / chin / face. I look at my daughter and she looks so similar to her brother as a baby that I wonder if there were two photos of the same pose if I could tell them apart. I sometimes feel transported back four years.

My son has a single dimple in his cheek, his left one, when he smiles his best smiles.

My daughter has only smiled once while awake, and we both fell a little more in love with her. Her dimple status: still unknown.

No comments: