Thursday, December 18, 2008

State of the Roads and what to do with family members

Don't ask me why I think this is fascinating; I have no answer for you. It's probably the same reason why, when it snows, I stare out the window and every hour or so exclaim "My God! It's still SNOWING!!!" Anyway. I did have to go out today, and found the usual Vancouver mess -- snow on roads, even the main ones, and no sign of a plough anywhere. There was barely evidence of salting trucks, apparently Vancouver is still relying on the ol' "if enough people drive on it, eventually the snow will go away!" ploy. The fact that it's -5 outside and that this policy is ... well, you know, dangerous ... apparently hasn't occurred to them.

Anyway: the point being that the roads are a mess, and I am currently trying to decide how I might get to my parents' for Christmas, as we are scheduled for another dump of snow this Sunday, and I was originally planning on going Monday morning, first thing. And given the track record of this city for clearing roads, I figure that is just plain old dumb. So now my choice is:

a. go Saturday, when the roads are clear (-ish), and see if I can last a whole week with my parents, my mother's two brothers, and one brother's new girlfriend all while entertaining a toddler

or 

b. go Tuesday when the roads are better and it should be a tad warmer and then feel like I don't quite have enough time with same folks.

Gotta love family. Is it just me or is it always this way? One week is too much, four days is too little for people I only get to see once a year and actually love dearly. 

I suppose one advantage of going early is all the extra babysitters and activities. There's a great big backyard, miles of parks and beaches, a television, baking and crafts to do with a child, as well as ... gasp! ... other people to watch him while I sleep. 

Hmmmm.

No comments: