Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wean, already!

So two months ago we decided that the nursing should stop. We figured -- the parents -- that the bedtime nurse would be last to go, that the nap nurse would be easy to get rid of. He naps at daycare all the time, no nursing, so we figured that would be an easy one. 

Not so much. 

But turns out? Not nursing at night was easy. Well. Relatively. And for two months, no nursing at night. 

And then there was the nap reduction. So we went without naps for a while. So no nursing at night or at naptime for some time. 

And the kid? Still asks. This whole "Don't offer don't refuse" idea? SUCKS ASS. SO DOESN'T WORK. 

I mean, honestly, the kid's almost three. We've tried the don't offer pattern. We've tried just not nursing at all. We've tried daddy doing bedtime, no naptime ... he still asks. He still knows. He still wants it. 

Is it me? Yeah, partly. I confess that I kind of feel that if he hasn't nursed very much in two months and he still asks and wants it -- needs it -- that it's still serving some purpose. That he still needs me that way. And so I give in relatively easily. I suppose if I were firmer, it would help. At least, it would speed the weaning process. I am not convinced it would be good for him. 

I don't suppose it matters; nursing a few times a week at this point in his life isn't a big deal. 

But huh. He's almost three ... isn't this part of parenting supposed to be done by now??

1 comment:

wealhtheow said...

Yeah, "don't offer, don't refuse" didn't work so well for us, either. And, as you know ... we were still at it well after age 3. (To be honest, I don't remember when we stopped. My best guess is that it was somewhere between age 4 and age 5 ... but I could be wrong. And I've asked SP and she doesn't remember either.) It did taper down gradually to no more than a minute or two a couple of times a week for the last ... while, though.

I was never good at "no," but I got pretty good at "not right now" and "just for one minute" ;^)